World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed around the world every year on May 31.
This annual event informs the public on the dangers of using tobacco, the business practices of tobacco companies, what WHO is doing to fight the tobacco epidemic, and what people around the world can do to claim their right to health and healthy living and to protect future generations.
Tobacco industry interference is the theme of WNTD 2012, with the aim to expose and counter the tobacco industry's brazen and increasingly aggressive attempts to undermine global tobacco control efforts.
About World No Tobacco Day
World No Tobacco Day was created in 1987 by the member states of WHO. It encourages a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption across the globe.
Tobacco use is one of the leading preventable causes of death. The global tobacco epidemic kills nearly 6 million people each year, of which more than 600,000 are people exposed to second-hand smoke.Unless we act, it will kill up to 8 million people by 2030, of which more than 80% will live in low- and middle-income countries.
May 21, 2012
Note: This is a work of fiction and characters portrayed are also fictitious, any resemblance to real person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
This is a short story which gives you a glimpse of one day in Ken's life. The story is narrated from the point of view of Ken and his wife.
Ken's point of view:
'That's the way You make me feel, Better than I've ever known it ..Better than It's ever been...,'
my favourite track by Ronan Keating played on my mobile; awakening me from my slumber. My hands fumbled on the bedside table before turning off the alarm. I turned to look at her and admire her beauty, but she wasn't beside me. My heart almost stopped for a moment, before I touched the sheets on the bed. They were quite warm, indicating that she must have woken up a few minutes ago.
My thoughts flashed back to last night...
"I would love to go for an early morning walk at the beach. Can we go tomorrow?," she had asked. I had been more than happy to agree. After all, how could I say no to Kyra, my sweet wife?
The bathroom door opened, bringing me back to the present. My wife stepped out and I gasped. With a peachy complexion, an attractive figure,dressed in a simple sundress and wearing flowers in her hair, Kyra was the epitome of beauty and perfection. I couldn't stop staring at my gorgeous wife. "Good morning dear," she said as she kissed me. I wished her back and thanked my lucky stars for bringing Kyra into my life...
May 16, 2012
Before talking about how internet on mobile changed my world, I would like to present the two phases of my life:
1. Before Mobile Internet (BMI) - Not to be confused with Body Mass Index * those on a diet beware*, this phase of my life was characterized by :
- dependence on a large desktop computer for my internet needs
- browsing only when my mom or dad weren't using the computer and only when they allowed me to
- long periods of restlessness while waiting for my slow dial up connection to connect me to the internet
- followed by long periods of sitting on an uncomfortable chair while browsing broadband internet
- which eventually and drastically reduced the time I spent online because it lead to back pain
- me at the receiving end of regular scoldings from mom and dad as I browsed late into the night
- restarting the computer and waiting impatiently just because I forgot to reply to an email
May 10, 2012
Title: The Devotion of Suspect X
Author: Keigo Higashino
Translated by : Alexander O. Smith
Genre: Crime Fiction
How far would you go to protect your love? Suspect X (Ishigami) proves that one can go to any lengths for the sake of love.
"Which is harder:devising an unsolvable problem, or solving that problem?". This quote from the book pretty much summarizes the plot.
Ishigami, a genius mathematician, is a teacher at a local school and harbors a secret love for his neighbour Yasuko Hanaoka, a single mother. She works in a Japanese lunch box shop and raises her teenage daughter Misato with the income. On day, her violent ex-husband Shinji Togashi turns up at her door and harasses her for money. A struggle follows, during which Yasuko and Misato end up killing Togashi.
May 6, 2012
The last time I posted on my blog was way back in March 2011. Fourteen months later, a wiser, older and healthier version of me is back!
I haven't blogged in a while because a lot of things transpired, right from a change in my single status to the loss of loved ones.
I'm lost in thought as I stand at the sea shore..
Here is a lowdown of the year that was:
- I lost my paternal grandmother in March 2011 and my maternal grandmother in April this year. Their deaths caused a major blow to our family and we are still grieving. Hope their souls rest in peace.Amen.
- I fell sick and had a host of health problems back to back from February to April this year.
- I got married in September 2011! :)
It opened up a whole new world for me..I had to learn to manage my home, in laws and yet continue with my job.